I’d like to start by saying this project was so fun! I will admit I was nervous as to how it turn out because I had never done anything with video editing before. I felt like everyone else knew exactly what they were doing while I was just a technologically impaired duck. Despite my uncertainty, I put on my big girl pants and started experimenting on Adobe Premiere. I actually caught on relatively quickly thereafter and ended up finding this project to be an enjoyable experience.
The movie I chose to transform was 500 Days Of Summer, a romantic comedy or drama. I had already seen this movie many times and knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. I arranged video and audio clips from the movie so that my trailer would portray a thriller. My trailer starts off with a fun, happy relationship between characters Tom and Summer that takes a dark and spine-chilling turn. When Summer breaks up with Tom, he decides to get revenge and is seen stalking and creating a plot to kill Summer. In the actual movie (spoiler alert!) the two never officially date. Summer breaks Tom’s heart when she says she “doesn’t want anything serious” and then ends up getting engaged to someone else. Although Tom is obviously sad, him and Summer remain friends and at the end of the movie he meets a girl named Autumn, whom he seems to have great interest in.
Most of the clips I chose were when Tom looked sad after the break-up. The music I used was obtained simply my searching “top 5 horror songs” on youtube and then converting them to mp3 through this website. By combining the two together, it was easy to make Tom look like a psychopathic killer. Along with this, I also added in still frames with a
black and white font called Chiller. In The Non-Designer’s Design Book by Robin Williams, Williams says to “repeat some aspect of the design throughout the entire piece because it creates consistency” (Pg. 51). Because of this, I used the same font for every still frame that I created. Adding in the transitions was one of my favorite parts of the project. I used a lot of the “dissolve” and “black out” transitions to make the clips flow from one to the next. I also used the fade out audio transitions so that the music gradually died out before the next clip were to play.
I thought putting clips together from a romantic comedy to make a thriller would be a lot harder than it looked, however, because of the use of closure, it was possible. According to Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud, viewers can have substantially different interpretations when the artist decides to show only a piece of something (Pg. 87). By showing a short clip of Tom saying “I don’t want to get over her, I want to get her back” (where in the movie he really just didn’t want to move on) and then flashing to a scene of him looking at her with creepy music, I created a sequence in which I triggered something entirely different in the readers imagination than the movie had intended.
I originally had the dreadful audio problem that many others also encountered. Although this was frustrating, I had already made and taken note of my sub-clips in and out times so I wasn’t completely doomed when it was required that I start over. After re-ripping my movie, the audio stayed in tact. I ended up spending multiple hours in the computer lab on Monday so that I could bust out my project in one long sitting so as not to chance losing my audio again. This is a good idea if you have the motivation and the focus. I would highly recommend to anyone making a trailer in the future that notes of in and out points are made so that time isn’t wasted searching for them if they are lost. I would also recommend watching movie trailers that people have made in the past. This will allow you to brainstorm what kind of transitions, cuts, music, etc. will work for your own project.